Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Good Readers

What makes a good reader? To me this is a question with many answers, and can somewhat a matter of opinion. I think each piece of writing is meant to be approached in a different way. To be a truly good reader you need to be able to see how to approach a certain piece of writing as the way it was written to be approached. I think Nabokov touched on that a little in this article. He mentions in order to completely appreciate a book for what it is you have to begin the story with an open mind, no assumptions as to what the book is. He suggests that when you begin a book you should try to remember the idea that each new book is like a creation of a new world, and we need to study this new world closely before we make our judgments. I agree with this notion as well as his comment, a good reader should have an imagination and some artistic sense.
            Would I fall into any of these criteria? I have had struggles entering a book with an open mind, it takes a lot for me to like a book, I generally like books that are part fictional but not something that is so farfetched that it is unbelievable.  I do have some artistic sense and imagination, but my reading skills have much room for improvement in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment