Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Things They Carried


The book written by Tim O'Brien titled "The Things They Carried" is filled with many interesting short stories. The stories that are written are based of events that occured in the Vietnam War. One story inparticular caught my special attention and really got me thinking. The story is titled "On the Rainy River". This story is based off a persnoal event in his life that changed his life, when he was drafted by the United States to fight in the Vietnam War.

In this story he writes about how assambed he was about the actions he took. A story he seemed embarrased to tell. He was a college student recently graduated, with a promising future. Like most people at the time of the war, he didn't understand why we were there, and what we were fighting for. Not wanting to fight in a war he did not understand or care to participatre in, he runs. He ran from his family, friends, and his life. He makes a run for the Canadian Border. In the end, he ends up never making to Canada and returns home and to the war.

Myself being a college student of about the same age, this story really got me thinking. What would I do if today i recieved a draft letter in the mail? I am a college student, with big hopes and dreams, and with a great future in mind for myself. I don't think I would behave much differently than Tim O'Brien did in this story. I think I can speak for many when I say the first thing that would probably come to mind would be RUN! This is a real life possibility for anyone of us. The draft is still something that can be utilized today. So I don't think down on Tim O'Brien at all for how he acted. I think even though he went back, to fight a war he did not understand, it was incredibly brave. I don't know if I would be able to do the same, if it had been me I might have very well made it to Canada.


If you are interested in the author Tim O'Brien or in finding other books of his please visit this link
http://www.illyria.com/tobhp.html

No comments:

Post a Comment